By Nanci Penland, Goodwill Outlet and Store Manager
The wait is finally over! Our new outlet store in Muskegon is open for business.
Rolling up your sleeves and sifting through unsorted textiles and wares isn’t for everyone, but avid thrifters LOVE discovering hidden gems and the low, low price.
If you’ve never visited a Goodwill outlet, you are in for an experience. Serving as a “last chance” clearinghouse for our donated goods, items are placed unsorted in large bins and sold by the pound. The bins are rotated with fresh content throughout the day.
If outlet shopping isn’t your cup of tea, visit our regular retail store right next door in the same building!
Goodwill Outlet Shopping Tips
- Bring bags or boxes to transport your purchases home.
- Wear sturdy gloves when sorting through merchandise due to potential sharp objects.
- For your safety, when merchandise bins are rolled onto the sales floor, please move out of the way. Please stand back until a Goodwill team member indicates “okay to shop” before approaching the bins.
- The outlet is strictly “cash and carry” meaning we cannot hold or set aside your items. If shopping for furniture or other large items, please make sure you have a vehicle that can transport your purchases at the time of sale.
- Monitor your cart and personal belongings! You are responsible for safeguarding.
- Test electronics in designated areas.
- Bring batteries to test toys and measuring tape if purchasing furniture.
- Be patient and be courteous to fellow shoppers.
- If bringing children, please do not leave them unsupervised; they must be accompanied by an adult.
- If you plan on visiting our regular store afterwards (located next door!), please take your purchased items to your car first.
- Clean your treasures when you get home. Wash what you can in hot water and use disinfectant wipes on toys, books, and other items. Rent a steam cleaner at your local hardware store to deep clean soft furniture.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Goodwill outlet?
The Goodwill outlet serves as a last-chance clearinghouse for items that did not sell at our 17 Goodwill Industries of West Michigan stores after a four-week period of time on the shelf. Wonderful bargains can be found!
How is the outlet different from a traditional Goodwill store?
Visiting a Goodwill outlet is a very different experience from shopping a regular store. Items are not sorted, hung, or organized but rather offered on large rolling tables for shoppers to sift through. Items are sold priced by the pound at a deep discount. Furniture and oversized items are individually priced. It’s the perfect experience for the bargain hunter who likes to roll up their sleeves.
How does the outlet operate?
Unsorted clothing and other merchandise are put on rolling tables and rotated on and off the sales floor throughout the day offering continuous fresh selections. Shoppers place items in a shopping cart that is then weighed on a floor scale.
What is the pricing?
Clothes, shoes, toys, electronics, glassware, and household goods are sold at $1.29 per pound. Furniture and other oversized items are priced individually.
What happens to merchandise not sold at the outlet?
Items not sold during their time on the sales floor are then responsibly recycled or sold to a recycling partner.
Is the merchandise sorted?
No. Items are heaped unsorted onto rolling carts.
How do my items get weighed?
Shoppers place their cart onto a floor scale and the weight of the cart is subtracted.
Does the outlet supply bags for purchased items?
Goodwill does provide some boxes but we encourage shoppers to bring their own bags.
What payment methods are allowed?
Cash or credit cards are accepted; checks are not.
Can I return items purchase at the outlet?
All items are sold as-is and there are no returns.
Do you accept donations at the outlet?
Not in the outlet itself, but there is a convenient donation drive-thru in the same building.
Are Goodwill vouchers accepted?
Where is the outlet located?
1501 East Apple Avenue in Muskegon Township right next to US-31
What are the days/hours of operation?
The outlet is open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
For more information visit our website!