We reached out to local Goodwill superfan Kendra Stanley-Mills and offered her a challenge … transform your family into The Addams Family using donated items purchased at Goodwill stores. Below are her amazing results. Special thanks to her accommodating family … Yuri, Harper, and husband Jon Mills.
Becoming The Addams Family
By Kendra Stanley-Mills
To transform the Mills Family into the Addams Family was a fun adventure. The first thing we did was to peruse the Internet to find some good photos that gave us a general idea of what to look for at Goodwill.
Pugsley’s costume was the easiest. Truly all we did was look for a black and white horizontal striped shirt. We had everything else at home. The shirt was a ladies shirt which 100% humiliated our son but I told him no one could truly tell.
Wednesday’s costume was just a basic black dress (super easy to find at any Goodwill) and then I found a white collared shirt (also super easy to find.) I cut off the collar and sewed that onto the black dress. We found black loafers but we did splurge and bought new white Bobbysocks at Target because all we could find were athletic socks at Goodwill. Our daughter is a redhead so we bought some black temporary hair color to make her fit the part a bit more. I added some lighter foundation to her face to make her look a bit pale.
We couldn’t find a full pinstriped suit for Gomez but we settled for a dark pair of dress pants and a striped suit coat. We already had a white shirt and then we looked and looked for a solid black bowtie or necktie (honestly, this was the most difficult item to find – who knew?!) With an added fake mustache (which were actually fake eyebrows but we reinvented them) and some extra hair gunk to slick back Jon’s hair, he fit the part. All we needed was a cigar (oops, we forgot!) so we improvised with a beef stick.
Goodwill items I used to create the costumes are listed below.
- red rose from Whitehall Goodwill ($.80)
- long black dress from Norton Shores Goodwill ($5.99)
- black dress from Norton Shores Road Goodwill ($5.99)
- wore shoes I already owned
- red nail polish I already owned
- bought red lipstick from Target
- white collared shirt from Whitehall Road Goodwill ($3.99)
- black dress from Norton Shores Goodwill ($5.99)
- black shoes from Whitehall Goodwill ($4.00)
- bought white dress bobby socks from Target
- bought black temporary hair color from Target
- “Thing” we already owned
- striped shirt from Muskegon–Sherman Goodwill ($1.99)
- black shorts that we already owned
- black shoes we already owned
- black socks borrowed from mom
- pillow stuffing used to create a belly that we already had at home
- black dress pants from Whitehall Goodwill ($3.99)
- striped suit coat from Norton Shores Goodwill ($7.99)
- facial mustache from Whitehall Goodwill ($1.45)
- black tie from Whitehall Goodwill ($2.00)
- white shirt we already owned
- black shoes we already owned
- “Cigar” was a beef stick
Total Goodwill cost: $44.18
The Addams family promotes Goodwill for Halloween costumes!
This Halloween, Goodwill® is partnering with MGM Studios for the upcoming release of The Addams Family movie coming to theaters October 11. The first family of Halloween is providing us a fun thematic opportunity to promote Goodwill as the place to find unique and authentic costumes.
Contest runs Oct. 18- 31.
1) Create a one-of-a-kind costume using items purchased at Goodwill.
2) Post a photo of your DIY costume creation on our Facebook page with a description of what you created.
3) The costume must be created in 2019.
4) The participant must be a resident of West Michigan
Prizes: $50 Goodwill Store Gift Card for each category – Best Adult Costume, Best Child Costume (under age 18), Best Group / Couple Costume
*Gift cards are only good at Goodwill Industries of West Michigan locations.
Check out our Facebook event for all the details!