By Rachael Crevier, Internet Marketing & Events Coordinator
As a new homeowner, I’ve been searching for unique and low cost items to decorate my home with.
When I found this adorable glass tree at our Roosevelt Park store in Muskegon, for only $1.50, I knew I had to get it! I had been swooning over items similar to this that were decorated to mimic antique “mercury” glass (or silvered glass.) I decided to give it a try!
My awesome $1.50 find, just got a little bath with soap and water, to remove the dust.
To create your own DIY (Do It Yourself) mercury glass tree/ vase you will need:
- Krylon Looking Glass Spray Paint
- White Vinegar
- A clean spray bottle
- A clear glass pieces you want to transform from Goodwill of course!
I made the mistake of looking at a hardware/ appliance store for the spray paint. So skip that, and check your local craft store like Hobby Lobby, JoAnn Fabric’s, or Michael’s.
Let’s get started!
- Lay out cardboard in ventilated area.
- Mix half, water and white vinegar in spray bottle.
- Shake spray paint really well (2 minutes and continue to shake throughout).
- Mist the vinegar mixture into the tree.
- Then mist the spray paint inside and swirl paint around to cover, let sit for 60 seconds.
- You will begin to see bubbles creating a texture on the glass.
- Repeat the vinegar and spray paint until desired look
And you’re done!
Here’s how my mercury glass tree turned out…
This technique can be applied many different ways, yet achieve similar results, depending on personal style. I wanted a heavier antiqued look, so I used multiple layers of spray paint and vinegar. For a more transparent look use less spray paint.
I love how elegant yet rustic it can look. I put mine on our mantle with the rest of our tree collection. It was so easy and cost effective! Home decor shouldn’t break the bank!
Try your hand at transforming glassware into mercury glass looking creations.
Candlesticks, hurricane, votive, vases and other glassware found at Goodwill would also make lovely antiqued mercury glass pieces. You won’t be disappointed!